POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Icy coast (95k) : Re: Icy coast (95k) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Icy coast (95k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Jul 2000 03:50:20
Message: <397BF542.F09F93D3@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Well, for one thing, the water is far too reflective...it should be
> darker, with larger waves, the current waves look far too small and the
> color shouldn't be so blue. You need more lighting on the shaded sides
> of the snow, the colors of snow and ice seem to be highly affected by
> the surroundings in my experience. Radiosity could help here, and maybe
> some fill lights.

The water is just taken from what i had, I agree about your points on that.
Radiosity is not my strong side :-) There is already one fill light in the
scene.

> As for the ice...it would help if it were a bit translucent. Currently,
> it just doesn't have any depth...it looks like painted blocks of foam.
> The only way I can think of to help this would be to mess with partly
> transparent textures and media...translucency is not easy to do.

Yeah, i already thought about media, thats probably the only way to get the
milky translucency of ice.

> Also,
> you have some very narrow spikes of ice which would certainly tip over
> in real life, and you need more debris, small bits of ice and slush in
> the water.

That's the problem with the crackle-texture, I not yet have any idea how to
solve that (maybe I have to remove them by hand :-( )

> Still, it is a very good start...I like the shore. This certainly has
> some potential for an interesting scene.

thanks, in fact, it is done very quickly, i was surprised that it looked quite
well.

> Maybe a viewpoint closer to one of the ice floes, with footprints across
> the top of the floe, or a hat and glove sitting on top. :-)

Right now, i use a heightfield, so that would be a problem, maybe i should
change it to an isosurface, but that would no more allow manual changes.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>